Did you know that micellar water has been around for more than 100 years? Neither did I 😉 Micellar water was developed out of research conducted at the University of Bristol in the UK in 1913, but it really caught on in France as a way to help Parisians deal with their harsh water supply.
Micellar water is made up of micelles, tiny oil molecules suspended in soft water. Micelles are attracted to dirt, oil and grime. They dissolve dirt and makeup without soap and without drying out the skin but instead leaving behind hydrated, clean, glowing skin.
Because France is where micellar water gained its popularity, no surprise that the most talked about micellar water comes from France. You know the one I’m talking about: Bioderma! Did you know that one bottle of Bioderma is sold every two seconds around the world? Amazing.
Bioderma was kind enough to send me their three micellar waters, each for different skin types and skin issues. In addition to the micellar waters, Bioderma has a range of skincare products for each of the three skin types. On the Bioderma website, I read up on how Bioderma designed the three product ranges to help each skin type combat their specific issues.
- Hydrabio: Micelle solution for sensitive, dehydrated skin – blue cap/label; “the Aquagenium® patent stimulates the skin’s cellular capacities and reactivates its natural hydration process” within the upper layers of the skin.
- Sensibio: Makeup removing micelle solution for sensitive skin – pink cap/label; “its fatty acid esters, the constituent elements of micelles, are similar to the phospholipids of the skin cell membranes and naturally help rebuild the skin’s hydrolipidic film.”
- Sebium: Purifying cleansing micelle solution for combination, oily or acne-prone skin – green cap/clear bluish water; “a new generation of anti-blemish treatments that directly act on sebum quality thanks to the Fluidactiv® patented complex.”
I have been using both the Sensibio micellar water for sensitive skin and Hydrabio for sensitive, dehydrated skin, and I love them both. When I returned from Arizona and my skin was soooooo dry, Hydrabio was just the thing. It leaves my skin feeling hydrated, with something “extra”. Now that my skin is in better shape and the weather is warmer and a bit more humid (though thank goodness, not too humid yet!), the Sensibio also works well for me.
Both Sensibio and Hydrabio remove my foundation and my eye makeup very well with no tugging. For the past month, I’ve been wearing Mirabella’s new waterproof mascara, and both Bioderma micellar waters do a great job removing it. When Jeff and I went to NYC last weekend, I forgot to bring my Bioderma MW with me and I didn’t have any makeup remover wipes with me either. What I had was good old Pond’s Cold Cream. Unfortunately, Pond’s wasn’t up to the task. It took forever to remove my waterproof mascara. So happy to get back to home to Bioderma and an easy time getting off my mascara.
The two Bioderma micellar waters have a pleasant, very light, floralish scent. One of my readers mentioned that she thought her bottle of Bioderma smelled like burnt rubber. I told her that perhaps she got a bad bottle because there’s no way mine smells like that. It hardly smells like anything, but as I mentioned. what little scent it has is a light floral scent.
The third bottle, Sebium, is a Purifying Cleansing MW for combination, oily skin and/or acne-prone skin. Since that’s not me, I decided to hold a giveaway so that someone who can really use this particular type of Bioderma Micellar Water will have a chance to try it for the first time or add to their stash if they’re already a fan. It would make a great gift if it doesn’t suit your skin type.
Before we get to the giveaway, Bioderma Micellar Waters are gentle and help balance the skin’s pH. They are available in 3 sizes: 100 ml, 250 ml and 500 ml. They are hypoallergenic, paraben free., alcohol free, soap free, and have no coloring. Bioderma is now easier to find in the U.S.: Bioderma can be purchased on Beautylish! The price ranges from $6.95-16.95 depending on size.
- Hydrabio: Aqua/Water/Eau, Glycerin, PEG-6 Caprylic/Capric Glycerides, Polysorbate 20, Mannitol, Xylitol, Rhamnose, Fructooligosaccharides, Niacinamide, Cucumis Sativus (Cucumber) Fruit Extract, Pyrus Malus (Apple) Fruit Extract, Peg-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Propylene Glycol, Hexyldecanol, Disodium EDTA, Sodium Hydroxide, Citric Acid, Cetrimonium Bromide, Fragrance (Parfum). [bi 546v1]
- Sensibio: Water (Aqua), PEG-6 Caprylic/Capric Glycerides, Cucumis Sativus (Cucumber) Fruit Extract, Mannitol, Xylitol, Rhamnose, Fructooligosaccharides, Propylene Glycol, Disodium EDTA, Cetrimonium Bromide.
- Sebium Aqua/Water/Eau. PEG-6 Caprylic/Capric Glycerides, Sodium Citrate, Zinc Gluconate, Copper Sulfate, Gingko Biloba Leaf Extract, Manitol, Xylitol, Rhamnose, Fructooligosaccharides, Propylene Glycol, Citric Acid, Disodium EDTA, Cetrimonium Bromide, Fragrance (Parfum)
The prize is one 250 ml bottle of Bioderma Sebium Micellar Water to one lucky Never Say Die Beauty reader. The giveaway is limited to U.S. residents, age 18+, where permitted by law, open to all US NSDB readers – unless you won the recent Exuviance Sunscreen giveaway, then please sit this one out, The giveaway will run for about 10 days till Friday, July 1, 2016 at 12:00AM EDT, so the last full day is Thursday, June 30.
Hopefully by now, you know the drill. You MUST LEAVE A COMMENT on this blogpost about why you want to win the Bioderma Sebium Micellar Water or what you plan to do with it if you win. One entry per household. The comment is mandatory. And you must record that you did it on the Rafflecopter widget below. Extras that you can do to earn more points are:
subscribe to Never Say Die Beauty
follow Never Say Die Beauty on Twitter
follow Never Say Die Beauty on Bloglovin’
follow Never Say Die Beauty on Instagram
follow Never Say Die Beauty on Google+
follow Never Say Die Beauty on Pinterest
visit Never Say Die Beauty on Facebook (and like it if you want!)
follow Bioderma on Instagram
If you do any of the above extras, you are entitled to more points. But YOU MUST CLICK OFF THOSE OPTIONS on the Rafflecopter widget.
If you don’t already subscribe to Never Say Die Beauty via email and you want to and plan to stick around for more than just the length of the giveaway, the signup is on the homepage of the blog in the upper right hand side. 🙂
To recap, this giveaway is open to US residents age 18 or older. Void in states where prohibited. The winner will be selected by a random drawing via the Rafflecopter widget when the giveaway ends on Friday, July 1, 2016 at 12:00AM EDT (so the last full day is Thursday, June 30), and the winner will be notified by me via email. Because of the July 4th holiday weekend, I’d like you to reply by end of Friday since we’ll all be busy with holiday stuff over the weekend. You have 24 hours to get back to me (by midnight July 2), if not a new winner will be selected. The winner will provide me with her/his mailing address, and I will mail your prize to you as soon as possible. Bioderma and I are not responsible for loss or damage in shipping. In other words, if it’s lost or damaged in shipping, we will be sad, but there is no replacement.
Thank you for entering the giveaway and good luck!Click here for reuse options!
Copyright 2016 Never Say Die Beauty