All my subscriptions came on time or early this month. I already wrote about my terrific September ipsy bag. And to follow up on my missing product with points, ipsy said they couldn’t replace it but they were sending me something else. It hasn’t arrived yet, and my fingers are crossed that it isn’t a black eyeliner 🙄
Honestly, I am a little tired of having to choose a Birchbox every month by watching their videos and then waiting till the date when I can choose the one I want. For September, I threw up my hands and just let them send me whatever. Frankly, I think that was the right response! My box was a decent one.
Here’s what I got:
- Coola Classic Face SPF 30 Cucumber Moisturizer, deluxe sample: Very lightweight moisturizer with chemical sunscreen that doesn’t give me white face. Although I am psychologically more comfortable with physical sunscreens, I gotta say I love the benefits of a chemical sunscreen. I’m enjoying this.
- Liz Earle Cleanse & Polish Hot Cloth Cleanser, travel size: I’ve heard of this English (I think) hot cloth cleanser, but never tried it and still haven’t gotten a chance to use it yet. You soak the muslin cloth in warm water, and after applying the cream cleanser, remove it with the cloth. Basically, they just give you the face cloth. Not quite sure what’s different here. I’ll let you know once I try it.
- Milk Makeup Lip + Cheek in the shade, Perk, deluxe sample: I’ve been wanting to try this brand so I was happy to get this sample. Love the bright pinky-peach shade I got. I don’t use this as a multitasker, but it makes a great cream blush.
- Oribe Glaze for Beautiful Hair Color plus bonus samples of Shampoo and Conditioner for Beautiful Color Hair: The shampoo and conditioner were a huge surprise. My hair was incredibly soft and silky after using them. If I didn’t have so many shampoos and conditioners, I would buy this duo in a heartbeat. I tried the Glaze last night (it’s basically a treatment conditioner), but I had something I wanted to watch on TV so I didn’t apply a leave-in like I usually do and I let my hair air-dry, something I never do, and then I flat-ironed it. I didn’t get the great results from the Glaze that I got previously from the shampoo and conditioner when I followed my regular regimen. If I have enough left in the sample, I’ll try it again.
- Tocca, Florence eau de parfum sample: Very pretty floral, but not for me. I’ll give it away.
Assessment: I liked this box. The Coola moisturizer, Milk blush stick, Oribe Shampoo & Conditioner were all things I love using and was glad to discover. Definitely worth $10 this month.
Sephora Play! The UnBasic Basics
The bag with the lipstick was cute. I’ll use it for jewelry and stockings when I travel.
Sephora’s September theme, the UnBasic Basics, is cute and I guess it fits because they’re products that you might consider necessities, but then not really. Here’s what I got:
- Sephora Collection: deluxe sample of Rouge Shine Lipstick in the light pink shade, Love Spell: A hydrating lipstick that’s comfortable to wear in a light pinky orchid shade that I seem to have several of already, sort of a MLBB shade.
- Living Proof Perfect Hair Day Night Cap Overnight Perfector, deluxe sample: I got a sample of this at Ulta last year, and it’s a terrific product but kind of a pain to use. I dislike sleeping with a plastic bag on my hair. Some rainy or snowy day when I know I’ll be staying in the house, I’ll apply it during the day and wash it out at night.
- Anastasia Beverly Hills Clear Brow Gel, deluxe sample: I need this. Glad to get it!
- Dr. Jart Water Drop Hydrating Moisturizer: I have a Dr. Jart BB Cream that I love so I was happy to get this huge travel size tube of moisturizer with hyaluronic acid. I haven’t had a chance to try it yet, but I’m looking forward to it.
- Kat Von D Tattoo Liner in Trooper, travel size: I received this in my first or second Sephora Play! bag so I’ll give it away. It’s a good one.
- Tory Burch Jolie Fleur Verte eau de parfum sample: A fresh green floral. A nice scent but not my thing. I’ll give it away.
Assessment: Same as Birchbox: I liked the box. Definitely worth the $10. I’ll use the lipstick around the house, the LP hair treatment, the Anastasia brow gel, and the Dr. Jart moisturizer. Well done.
So do I have a favorite between the two? No, they’re both quite good. How about you? Which would you have preferred? And if you subscribe, what did you get this month?Click here for reuse options!
Copyright 2016 Never Say Die Beauty