Let’s take a look at all three of my $10 subscriptions for November 2016.
Birchbox; The Finishing Touch
Birchbox arrived first as usual. The box itself is pretty, but it looks familiar, like I’ve received this pattern before.
The stuff inside – initial reactions: too much haircare as always. Although no full size, some good larger, travel size products.
- Dr. Jart Premium BB Cream SPF 50++: I have a full size tube of this self-adjusting, one size fits all BB cream, but it’s a couple of years old and needs to be tossed. Glad to get this deluxe sample size tube. Love the high SPF of this BB cream. It’s good for my dry skin, but I don’t recommend this for skin tones that are darker than light or light/medium.
- Kiehl’s Midnight Recovery Concentrate: Haven’t tried it yet, but looking forward to using it.
- Jane Iredale Just Kissed Lip & Cheek Stain, Forever Peach: I was happy to get this pretty mini because I’ve never tried Jane Iredale cosmetics. So far, I have used it as a lip balm and it’s fine. I couldn’t see myself using it on my cheeks too. It’s supposed to be self-adjusting color, but it seemed sheer on me. I must try it again and monitor it more closely.
- R+Co Cleansing Foam Conditioner: I have no idea what this is, a combo shampoo and conditioning foam? I know this wouldn’t work for me. Foams just don’t have the oomph that I need with all my coarse, thick hair. Plus I don’t like a 2-in-1 shampoo/conditioner. Goes in the haircare giveaway pile.
- Davroe Ends Repair Leave-in Treatment: More haircare, but I’ll try this one for extra care for my sometimes dry ends.
A cute navy blue makeup constellation printed neoprene-type bag.
As usual, I didn’t peek at this month’s goodies till the bag arrived. Bingo!
- Luxie 524T Rose Gold Small Duo Fiber Stippling Brush, full size: I love duo fiber brushes for applying highly pigmented blush. Glad to have this. I love Luxie’s soft, synthetic brushes.
- Starlooks Liquid Rose Gold Eyeshadow: I am laughing so hard! I tried this product as soon as it arrived, and I thought this was a liquid matte lipstick! I tried it on my lips, and it was sooooo drying lol. Then I put some lip balm over it, and it was terrific. I was just looking up what I received in my ipsy bag since I’m away for the weekend and writing this post, and I was shocked to discover that this is eyeshadow! I have a similar liquid eyeshadow from Revlon, and it’s too drying for my already dry eyelids. I think this will be too drying too, but I’ll try it anyway. I think I’ll use it as lipstick over lip balm.
- Verb Ghost Oil: I am not familiar with this brand, but it looks like a nice, clear hair oil. I don’t need more hair oil, so I may give it away though I like the clean look of the packaging.
- Formula X Nail Lacquer in Huntress: I haven’t had a chance to try this amazing looking shade yet, but I love how it looks: a dark green/black polish with gold streaks. What fun!
- theBalm MadLash Mascara: I’ve never tried theBalm mascara, and I’m always up for trying a new mascara. Sorry I haven’t opened it yet so I don’t know what the brush and formula is like.
Love my ipsy bag this month! I’ll use everything except maybe the Ghost Oil, and who knows, maybe I’ll try that too because it looks so appealing. As always, well worth the $10. The Luxie brush alone costs $18.
Sephora Play Glow-Getters
I got my Sephora Play bag just before I left for Thanksgiving weekend, and I took a few of the items with me and left the rest to discover when I get home.
So what about the goodies? I’d say it was a good month!
- Cover/FX Illuminating Primer: From a brand I love, this Illuminating Primer looks great. Eager to try it.
- Sephora Collection Kiss and Gel Ultra Shine Lip Gel in Pin Up Pink: Haven’t tried it yet, but it looks adorable!
- GlamGlow Gravity Mud Firming Treatment: I usually avoid mud because it’s drying, but I’ll try this. Hoping it’s the silver mask my friend Erika demonstrated on IG recently!
- Laura Mercier Caviar Stick, rose gold: I couldn’t wait to try this deluxe travel size cream eyeshadow stick in rose gold. It’s a lovely color, perfect for me.
- Caudalie Vinosource Moisturizing Sorbet: I took this deluxe sample of anti-aging moisturizer with me this weekend. It’s as light as a feather, fragrance-free and dries quickly. I would prefer a dewy finish but I think just about everyone, especially those without super dry skin like me, will love this moisturizer.
- Maison Margiela Replica Perfume “By The Fireplace”: Finally a scent sample that’s a complete home run for me! A woody scented oriental with vanilla, guaiac wood and pink peppercorn notes that definitely smells like a warm and spicy fireplace – in a good way. Love it! If I hadn’t just bought some perfume, I would definitely go for this. In fact, sometime in the future I will. A perfect fall/winter scent for me.
Actually, both ipsy and Sephora Play are winners for me this month based on the products I received. I’m sorry that Birchbox just doesn’t do well in a head to head contest. Just not enough makeup and too much haircare. Wish there were another full size product or two, but I am very satisfied with the brands and products this month.
If I had to pick an overall inexpensive bag winner, for me it’s still ipsy. I love that you can earn points for free products, and I think the percent off purchases featured in the monthly bags is so valuable. So as always, if you decide to subscribe to ipsy, I’d be grateful if you’d use my referral code. xoxoClick here for reuse options!
Copyright 2016 Never Say Die Beauty