When I was a preteen or young teen, I don’t remember if there were internationally-famous boy bands or not because, in my town, we had our own boy band, Teddy and the Pandas! We all loved them, and it was easy to go to dances where they were playing since they were right in town. They had a hit record that got a lot of airplay, at least in Massachusetts. Wow, that was literally in another century.
Today’s hot boy band is One Direction – the world’s biggest pop band, and they are on tour this summer. In fact, they are going to be performing at Gillette Stadium in Foxborough MA on August 7-9. A number of my neighbors and their kids are going! Tickets are available through Ticketmaster online. For the next couple of months, it looks like One Direction will be traveling and performing throughout the U.S. so catch them when they come to your area.
This month, One Direction is launching “The Looks Collection”, a limited edition line of makeup that celebrates youth, style – especially the style of a new generation. “The Looks Collection” is made up of three keepsake tins, each inspired by and named after one of the band’s chart-topping albums: Up All Night, Take Me Home, and their latest album, Midnight Memories. Each collection contains a different color palette that fits three different personalities: rock ‘n roll girl, fun party girl or the girl next door. But all of the collections were created with the personality of One Direction in mind: vivid, bold and a little mischievous. Sounds like fun!
In spite of being well out of the target market for One Direction, I was lucky enough to get one of the collections to try out and share with you. When you think about it, it makes sense. I would imagine that many of the women who read Never Say Die Beauty have daughters or nieces or sisters in the target market. And these keepsake tins filled with makeup would make great holiday, birthday or anytime gift for girls who are or might become fans of One Direction.
I received the Up All Night collection that I’m thinking was designed for the fun, party girl. Awright! The tin, decorated with a brick wall in shades of black and grey, is just great for storing the makeup or whatever you want.
Over the tin is a removable acetate sleeve with a photo of the guys in the band and their signatures. The tin opens like a book and inside on the left side, there are inspirations and illustrations that show how to create three different looks using the makeup in the Up All Night collection.
And inside the tin, the makeup is so nicely arranged!
So what’s the makeup inside?
- I Should Have Kissed You: a bubblegum pink creme lipstick that’s almost a Radiant Orchid shade that’s great for summer and looks like it has a matte finish to me
- Taken: Liquilights Glow Gloss, a pink glitter gloss that turns to neon orange under UV light – how fun!
- NaNaNa: aqua-blue metallic nail varnish – an absolutely gorgeous shade
- a 5 piece set of decorator stencils with cute designs that can be used to decorate your stuff or your self or whatever
Next, the eye makeup:
- Little Black Dress Mascara in Perfectly Black: a carbon black volumizing formula
- Stand Up: a dark denim crayon for eye or body that goes on so smooooothly
- a portable eyeshadow compact with four velvety, pigment-rich eye shadows in vivid shades of blue and neutrals plus a bold glitter creme shadow:
- More Than This: soft blushing pink
- Gotta Be You: silvered taupe shimmer (though on me, it appeared more matte)
- Save You Tonight: shimmering turquoise
- Another World: cobalt blue shimmer
- Up All Night: sapphire glitter creme.
Because this is a “private label” collection, I didn’t know what to expect in terms of quality. I was pleased to discover that the makeup is good, department store quality makeup. The four eyeshadows were truly velvety, a breeze to apply. I used the crayon as eyeliner, and I loved it. The lipstick on its own looks great with a tan, and the gloss is fun and adds a deeper dimension to the lipstick when worn together.
The look I put together is very different from my usual neutral looks, but I think it’s fun to have some standout color on my eyes for a change. I think it’s a bright summer look!
- More Than This (pale pink) in the inner corner and inner part of the lid
- Save You Tonight (turquoise) in the middle of the lid
- Another World (cobalt) in the out corner of the lid in a V
- Gotta Be You (taupe) in the crease
- Stand Up, the denim crayon as eyeliner on my lid and along the lower lash line.
The only shadow that was a little bit hard to apply was Up All Night, the sapphire glitter creme so I used a bit of it on top of the blue crayon liner.
I adore the NaNaNa nail lacquer. The metallic aqua shade is stunning. What do you think?
The “Looks Collection” is launching at Macy’s on August 11, and it will be rolling out to the following stores on August 25:
- Stage Stores
- Lord & Taylor
- Beauty Brands.
It will be available internationally at a date to be announced.
So, the three collections will be available in stores very soon! In the meantime, check ’em out on Facebook.