I think that Ipsy definitely continues to have the edge in the competition of inexpensive makeup subscriptions. I got another winner on Saturday from Ipsy: all makeup! Yay!
The theme is Summer Friday. When I worked in advertising in New York, we had summer Fridays. At one agency, we got out on Friday at 1pm, at another agency, we had every other Friday off. Both were great options especially for those of us trying to get out of the City for the weekend.
On to this month’s Ipsy bag. The clear plastic makeup bag adorned with popsicles and ice cream cones fits the summer theme. The bag appears to be longer than the usual Ipsy bag, so I think I could use this to protect my huge iPhone 7+ at the beach or use it for makeup brushes when I travel.
So let’s take a look inside.
- Jelly Pong Pong SuperCharged Super Intense Eyeshadow Duo, shades Electric: This portable better-for-you metallic eyeshadow duo – gold and bronze – from the Korean brand, Jelly Pong Pong, is purse size and even has a mirror inside. I couldn’t wait: I wore the bronze shadow Saturday night and again yesterday. I always use shadow primer, so it went on smoothly, didn’t crease and lasted till I removed it many hours later. There was no fallout whatsoever: a very butter powder. The shades are perfect for me. Success! Full size. $22.95.
- Adesse Organic Infused Gel Effect Nail Lacquer, shade Surfer Girl: I think this is the second bottle of Adesse Nail Lacquer I’ve gotten in an Ipsy bag but I can’t remember what I did with the other dark, winter shade. I love the light robin’s egg blue of this one. I’m going to remove the polish I’m wearing, and put this one on pronto! Full size. $18.
- IT Cosmetics SuperHero Stretch Volumizing Mascara: I’m a fan of IT’s SuperHero Mascara that makes lashes super-long with enough volume (though I’m surprised they call it Volumizing rather than Lengthening Mascara). These days, I’m preferring travel size mascaras because they don’t dry out and or get wrecked by air getting in the tube over time. Travel size, $12.
- Urban Decay AfterGlow 8 Hour Powder Highlighter, shade Sin: I think Sin is a champagne shade. It’s a very pretty peachy, neutral shade in the pan and when I swatched it, it did look like a neutral champagne. I have mostly pink or rose gold highlighters, so this is a welcome change. Travel size. Price estimate: $4.50 for the sample. Full size is $26.
- Mellow Creamy Matte Lipstick, shade Nude: I’ve never heard of this New Zealand brand, Mellow, but when I saw it in my bag I was eager to try it out. The Nude shade is actually mauve, IMHO. I wore it last night when we had company for dinner. It did fade as I ate but you could still see that I had lipstick on. I was thrilled that it didn’t dry out my lips (a Vitamin E-infused creamy matte), though it’s not what I would call hydrating either (but you might). I think I’ll get a lot of wear out of this lippie. I like the look of the packaging too. Full size. $13.
I will use every single item including the makeup bag without hesitation this month. I estimate the value of this month’s bag is a whopping $70.50! I paid $10 delivered! Plus, Ipsy offers discounts (about 20% off) on all of the brands they are featuring each month. So if you don’t subscribe yet, and you want to, please consider using my referral code.
If you already subscribe, what did you get in your Ipsy Summer Friday bag?