We all have our favorite mascaras. But more often than not, we’re always still on the hunt for new favorites.
Over the past few years, some of my favorites are still in my favorites list, though they have been joined by new favorites. Some of my old favorites have dropped off the list. None of these mascaras clump, flake off or leave me with raccoon eyes. Here are the mascaras I love now.
Everyone’s eye shapes and type of lashes are different, and often because of that, we tend to gravitate toward certain types of mascara formulas and wand types/shapes. My eyes are downturned, and I have long but almost clear lashes. I like to try to get length on my outer upper lashes to create an uplifted cat-eye look so that my eyes look less downturned. Also, in spite of some sources recommending that older women not apply mascara to their lower lashes, I always apply mascara on my lower lashes. IMHO, without lower lash mascara, eyes look like they’re floating, but to each her own.
For some reason, I prefer mascaras that give either both length and volume, or even just length. I don’t like thick-looking lashes on me, but that’s just my preference. I tend to gravitate toward slim wands with plastic teeth, though I do have a couple of big bristle wands that I reach for from time to time. I apologize in advance for photographing most of the wand heads against such a busy black & white background. What was I thinking?
Here are my current choices:
- MAC Upward Lash: I’ve been using MAC Upward Lash for about a year. I got a sample with a MAC order, and I fell in love with the strangely short wand with plastic teeth. I find that with this wand, I can more easily coat the little upper lashes in the inner corners as well as my lower lashes. I also can easily manipulate the short wand to apply more mascara to my outer lashes to get the uplifted wing that I like. Also, with this mascara, I don’t need to curl my lashes. BTW, the tip of the wand is flat. I should’ve cleaned off that little droplet of mascara at the tip in the photo below.
- Benefit Roller Lash: Lately I’ve been reaching for an older favorite, Benefit Roller Lash. Roller Lash has a slightly curved wand with plastic teeth. Although I wish the wand was straight instead of curved, I can still make it work without too much trouble. I love the placement of the teeth that are shorter on the inside of the curve and longer on the outside. For me, the mascara is more lengthening than volumizing though it does both well enough for me. I recently discovered that Roller Lash has a brown mascara too, so I now own both shades. Yay! Comes in full and travel sizes.
- Mirabella Lasting Lash Waterproof: Mirabella Lasting Lash is the only waterproof mascara that I have ever liked (at least in recent memory!). I was sent this mascara to test for review about three years ago, and I have repurchased it myself at least 5 times. Mirabella Lasting Lash has a very slim plastic wand with small teeth that may not be to everyone’s liking. But the wand is perfect for me to manipulate to get the small inner lashes and lower lashes, and to turn to add more mascara to my outer lashes to get that uplift I like. I would say this is primarily a lengthening mascara though I can apply additional coats for more volume. Although it is waterproof, it isn’t difficult to remove. It comes off easily with micellar water or eye makeup remover.
- Benefit They’re Real: This is an old favorite. Though I would say that Roller Lash has eclipsed They’re Real for me, I’m not entirely sure why. The formula of They’re Real does a great job providing both lengthening and volumizing. And the zillion plastic teeth of several sizes all around the longer, slightly hourglass-shaped wand, do a fantastic job both coating and separating lashes. It also comes in brown and blue shades. Comes in full and travel sizes.
- Urban Decay Perversion: Urban Decay Perversion with its huge bristled wand is an unlikely mascara choice for me. What I like most about it is the rather wet, black black black formula. There are tons of close-set bristles on this big wand that really deliver fat volumized lashes. Comes in full and travel sizes.
- Diorshow Mascara: Diorshow is probably the mascara in this group that I’ve been using off and on for the longest time, decades even. I love the formula that delivers lashes that are both lengthened and volumized. Also, it comes in brown, purple and navy blue as well as a few shades of black. The bristles on this long wand are set further apart than UD Perversion that seem to separate lashes well.
All of the above mascaras are from prestige brands, and they can be rather pricey. Because I don’t own it right now, I can’t photograph along with the group. But I still love L’Oreal Voluminous Butterfly Intenza, and I intend to buy it in the future.
- L’Oreal Voluminous Butterly Intenza: Butterfly Intenza was introduced toward the end of 2014, and it is still available. I like the formula that I find both volumizing and lengthening. But what really sold me on it is the shape of the wand. It wings out on all sides of the wand, so it is the easiest plastic wand for me to use to get the winged outer lashes that I love. Plus, it’s affordable.