We’re into September, but I haven’t posted anything about my three $10 beauty subscriptions from August. So I’ll do one post on all three. Let’s see which one did the best in August.
Birchbox always gets delivered first. That’s a plus. It’s a cute box with fun colors and patterns that remind me of British candies that come in these kind of colors (can’t think of the brand name!).
I was given a choice between two boxes, and I chose the one I received because of the Stila Stay All Day Liquid Lipstick that came with this option. Unfortunately, the nude shade I got, Patina, makes me look like death. I need either some peach or some pink with a true nude, so I have to layer this with something else that defeats the purpose for me. I should’ve given this away before I tried it, but I was hopeful that I was wrong in my assessment of the shade. I wasn’t.
- Stila Stay All Day Liquid Lipstick, Patina, deluxe sample size: see comments above
- Beauty Protector Protect & Detangle, deluxe sample size: I got this back in February or March, and I liked it. I don’t know what I did with the first one I received, so I’m glad to have this duplicate. I’m using it now because I used up my favorite leave-in, It’s A 10. This is good too.
- Marcelle BB Cream Golden Glow, deluxe sample size: I’m not really sure what this is supposed to be. It’s a universal tone (it looks taupe coming out of the tube). It’s rather sheer and it has a bit of a sheen. Is it a highlighter? A glow cream? For me, it’s not a useful BB cream. It’s not for me.
- Living Proof No Frizz Nourishing Oil, deluxe sample size: I like Living Proof haircare, but I’m not a fan of oil on dry hair. I will try it on my wet hair after shampooing instead of the Beauty Protector next time I wash my hair.
- Acure Organics Coconut & Argan Oil Cleansing Towelettes, travel size: I haven’t tried these makeup removers yet. I will bring them to Asheville with me this weekend, though I also purchased Neutrogena Makeup Remover Wipes just in case these don’t work as well. They sound lovely though.
- Hum Nutrition, Raw Beauty Green Superfood Powder: I have never tried anything like this because I like real food, not powder. However, the flavor is mint-chocolate chip, so I’ll buy some almond milk and mix this in to try it.
Assessment: Another OK box from Birchbox. Birchbox never seems to give full size products which is a disappointment. Also, it often sends products I’ve already gotten from them. Most disappointing is that Birchbox sends less makeup than other subbie boxes. As I’ve said before, when my gift subscription ends in December, that’s it for Birchbox. Plus they no longer give points for reviews, so I no longer bother reviewing the samples I get.
Sephora Play! The Eye Opener
Sephora arrived next. I think this month’s box/bag is called The Eye Opener because it contained at least 4 products for eyes.
Sephora changed up the look of the cotton bag they started sending the products in. This month, the bag has a cute winking eye.
In general, I prefer getting the products in bags rather than loose like they were in the beginning when I easily missed some little products in the box. But the bags are kind of meh.
I’ve been on the fence about Sephora Play! though last month was an improvement over previous ones. What about this month?
- Makeup For Ever Artist Shadow I-544, deluxe sample: Iridescent pink-granite gel-powder eye shadow, very pretty neutralish shade with the right amount of shimmer, I like it!
- Sephora Collection Contour Eye Pencil 12 hr Wear Waterproof in Flirting Game, deluxe sample: A metallic taupe eyeliner pencil that goes on smoothly and stays on quite well. I use it primarily for the lower lashline. It looks great with the MUFE I-544 shadow and with about a million other shadows that I own. I really like this pencil!
Here are swatches of the MUFE Artist Shadow and Sephora Contour Eye Pencil. I wanted you to see the shades. However, I was working too fast tonight. I put the wrong name on the MUFE shadow (it’s “Artist” not “After”) and the eye pencil is from Sephora, not Urban Decay. But I couldn’t fix my mistake because I jumped the gun and deleted the original swatch photo, and it’s too dark and too late to take a new photo. Sorry!
- Urban Decay Perversion Mascara, travel size: Even though I don’t usually like mascaras with big fluffy wands, I like this one. It coats and covers well, and I don’t have too much trouble with clumping. I was happy to get this!
- Lancome Energie de Vie Smoothing & Glowing Liquid Care Moisturizer, deluxe sample: I’m not a big fan of the fragrance in all of Lancome’s products so I’m not overly excited about this.
- Caudalie Resveratrol Eye Lifting Balm, deluxe sample: I like natural Caudalie so I am looking forward to trying this eye balm. Anything with “lifting” in the title is a plus.
- Clean, Reserve Blonde Rose eau de parfum sample: I’m not a fan of getting perfume samples because my taste in fragrance is so specific. I usually don’t like florals, but I do like rose scents. However, this is not a typical rose. It seems to have a pleasant sharpness in addition to the rose as well as a powdery note. Surprisingly, I like it!
Assessment: I’m pleased with this month’s bag from Sephora. All of the makeup has been perfect for me. Even though I probably won’t use the Lancome, I will use the Caudalie Eye Lifting Balm. And I will wear the Clean Blonde Rose perfume for daytime because it’s so lovely. Keep doing the bags like this, Sephora, and I’ll stick with you!
ipsy Sugar Highness
I was annoyed with ipsy this month because my bag that usually arrives by the middle of the month didn’t come until the very end of the month. What’s up with that? I actually emailed Customer Service to complain, but they let me know it was on its way. I’m glad it was because it had the Hourglass Ambient Light Primer in it (I’ll review that separately) that I got with points and was dying to get. On to this month’s bag.
Here I’m showing my age: I have no idea who Christen Dominique, the bag stylist of this month’s bag, is. Please clue me in.
The makeup bag is cute and princessy but a little too childish for me to get too excited about it. So what’s in the bag?
- Ciate London Paint Pots Nail Polish, Dangerous Affair, full size: I love this deep burgundy shade. I think I’ll take it with me to Asheville in case I have time to paint my nails right before Marah’s wedding so my nails won’t chip.
- Neogen Black Caviar Essence & Gold Tox Tightening Pack, 2 packets: This seems to be two products in one. It’s a little thicker than a traditional essence. A ton of it comes in the packet. I had more than enough for one application so I applied the leftovers the next night. I’m in the market for an essence that’s more affordable than the SK-II Treatment Essence that I adored but can’t afford, so I’ll check out the price of this. I liked it.
- Marc Anthony Nourishing Argan Oil of Morocco Deep Hydrating Conditioning Treatment, travel size: I am swimming in haircare products right now, but I will definitely try this conditioning treatment sooner or later. I like Marc Anthony haircare, and I like argan oil products. Sounds like it’ll be a good one.
- Winky Lux Diamond Powder in Light, not sure if it’s full size or deluxe sample but there’s a very good amount of it: I have never heard of this brand, but the Diamond Powder is so soft and finely milled. Very impressive. It seems like a nice finishing powder with just a hint of shimmer. When I saw “Diamond Powder”, I thought it would be sparkly, but it’s not at all. I need to try it tomorrow and see if it would be good to take with me to Asheville.
- IT Cosmetics No Tug Waterproof Eyeliner, black, travel size: Though I don’t need another black eyeliner pencil, I have been eager to try this. I wish I had tried it already so I could give you my thoughts, because it’s one of the Ulta 21 Days of Beauty deals. I’ll try it tomorrow!
Assessment: I’m happy with this month’s ipsy bag. I will use everything in it. Keep up the good work!
So, if this is a Battle of the Bags, there has to be a winner, right? It was close, but this month goes to Sephora Play! The three makeup items that really suit me put Sephora Play! over the finish line. However, there were items in all three of the bags/boxes that I liked. For $10, they’re all still a bargain.
Which one would you have chosen? Are you subscribing to any of these? If so, what did you think about your bags and boxes?