January is not quite over, so I’m going to get in my skincare favorites for 2015. For me, 2015 was a banner year for skincare, and it looks like 2016 will follow suit. Frankly, in each of the skincare subcategories, it will be hard for me to pick a winner and I know I’ll have to miss a number of brands/products that should be right up there but I’ll do the best I can.
IMHO, using skincare products is the most important thing you can do to keep your skin looking youthful and feeling comfortable for a lifetime. If you don’t like and don’t wear makeup, that’s fine. But skincare is a must!
Skincare is personal, depending so much on the type of skin you have. My skin is dry, somewhat sensitive, and mature. So if you have oily or combo young skin, you may skip this post 😉 🙄
As a blogger, I’ve been lucky to get to try out so many different skincare brands including luxury brands as well as many specifically targeted skincare products. Frankly, if money is an object as it is for many of us, I recommend the Olay Regenerist and the L’Oreal Revitalift skincare lines that are the result of lots of research and development and provide great ingredients and benefits at an affordable price. Also highly recommended is Paula’s Choice, a more natural brand that has a number of different skincare lines for every skin issue and problem at affordable prices. In my favorites below, you’ll find a mix of affordable and prestige products.
Favorite Facial Cleansers
- MyChelle Creamy Pumpkin Cleanser: For colder weather, MyChelle Creamy Pumpkin Cleanser (reviewed here) with the yummy pumpkin scent helps hydrate my skin while cleansing. I actually look forward to washing my face with this stuff!
- Murad Essential-C Cleanser: For warmer weather when my skin is greasier and dirtier, I love Murad Essential-C Cleanser (reviewed here). A clear orange-scented gel with vitamin C, this cleanser gives my skin a thorough cleansing while not stripping it. The vitamin C antioxidant also helps prevent environmental damage. I tried a sample size, but loved it so much I bought a big tube.
Favorite Daytime Moisturizer
- Paula’s Choice Skin Recovery Daily Moisturizing Lotion SPF 30: affordable, natural, very hydrating moisturizer with a decent SPF (reviewed here). Although it does require working it in to get rid of the white cast, I prefer the physical sunscreen that Paula’s Choice uses to a chemical sunscreen.
Favorite Sunscreens for Face
- Tatcha Silken Pore Perfecting Sunscreen SPF 35: Very lightweight, great to wear with a moisturizer that doesn’t have sunscreen. No white face, no heavy feeling, plus it tightens pores! (reviewed here)
- La Roche-Posay Anthelios 60 Ultra Light Sunscreen Fluid: If you’re looking for an ultralight sunscreen with a high SPF, this one from La Roche-Posay (reviewed here) is the way to go. They have lower SPF versions, but this is the big gun. Super lightweight, perfect to wear with a moisturizer without sunscreen.
Favorite Nighttime Moisturizer
- Tatcha Indigo Soothing Triple Recovery Cream: This rich, luxurious BLUE cream (it also comes in white) from Tatcha, a state of the art skincare brand inspired by the skincare secrets of the geishas, is so soothing for my sensitive skin and so hydrating for my dry skin. I love it! (reviewed here)
Favorite Neck Cream
- StriVectin TL Advanced Tightening Neck Cream: The somewhat stiff, thick neck cream with StriVectin’s patented molecule NIA114 has definitely made a difference in better hydrating my neck and keeping it looking more youthful. I wish I had discovered this neck cream earlier! (reviewed here)
Favorite Eye Creams
- Lindi Skin Eye Hydrator: My eye issues are different from most people because I have blepharitis that makes my eyelids red and raw. Lindi Skin’s Eye Hydrator (reviewed here), a thick, soothing, golden gel, is the only thing I’ve found that soothes them. In fact, the Eye Hydrator is out of stock right now and I’m panicking!
- Shiseido IBUKI Eye Correcting Cream: For dark circle camouflage, Shiseido IBUKI Eye Correcting Cream (reviewed here) has a brightener that instantly makes my dark circles less apparent. I haven’t found any eye cream that actually gets rid of my dark circles, though I’m lucky that they aren’t too bad.
Favorite Blemish Healer
- Shiseido IBUKI Multi-Solution Gel: My skin doesn’t break out very often, but on those rare occasions when it does, the Multi-Solution Gel (reviewed here) gets rid of them literally overnight! It’s good for shrinking pores too. And it has an amazing rubbery jelly consistency.
Favorite Hydrating Mask
- Paula’s Choice Skin Recovery Hydrating Treatment Mask: A thick white cream (reviewed here) that does a great job hydrating my skin during the winter or when it feels super-parched. Love it. I wear it over my moisturizer or anti-aging cream.
- Skin Inc. Pure Revival Peel: A unique peel where I rub on the clear gel, leave it for a few seconds, and then make circles on my skin with my fingers. The dead skin balls up and comes right off. Sounds a bit gross, but boy does it work!
- Exuviance Triple Microdermabrasion Face Peel: A peel that works with both chemical – papaya enzyme and glycolic acid – and physical properties – fine professional-grade microdermabrasion crystals (reviewed here). Love it because my skin feels ultra smooth after using it.
Favorite Brightening Serum
- ISA Professional Xanadu Serum: With small 24K gold flecks, this brightening serum (reviewed here) gives my face a lovely glow, plus it’s stunning to look at. One of the prettiest serums ever!
Favorite All-Around Anti-aging Serums
- Bellatora Cellular Renewal Complex: If you hear me crying, it’s because my bottle of Bellatora Cellular Renewal Complex is almost finished! The ultimate luxury serum, Bellatora’s complex is a fabulous serum made from antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, polysaccharides, botanicals, and plant stem cells that works as a multi-dimensional anti-aging serum. It reduces fine lines and wrinkles, accelerates skin’s natural repair functions, and protects from environmental damage while targeting discoloration, uneven tone and preventing the appearance of future damage at the cellular level. I love that it’s time-released, ultra lightweight formula. I need a “scholarship” so I can buy another bottle 😉
- OZ Naturals Pro-Retaxinol 2.5 Serum: A more affordable option, OZ Naturals Pro-Retaxinol 2.5 Serum (reviewed here) contains a number of anti-aging ingredients including Retinol at the 2.5 level helps fade fine lines and wrinkles and hyperpigmentation.
Favorite Hand Cream
- H2O+ Targeted Care Hand and Nail Cream: When my hands are really dry like they are now in winter, H2O+ (reviewed here) does the best job hydrating them. Period. The end. (reviewed here)
Favorite Body Lotion/Cream
- DermaMD Soy Moisturizer Intense Healing Serum: Though called a serum, this mint green colored gel cream from DermaMD (reviewed here) does an incredible job softening and keeping my desert-dry skin hydrated and looking younger and better. I adore it!
Favorite Sunscreen for Body
- MyChelle Natural Sunscreens: MyChelle makes three sunscreens (reviewed here) that are very lightweight though they contain physical sunscreens. When applying sunscreen all over my body, I prefer using physical sunscreens instead of chemicals. These sink right in, aren’t greasy, and are either unscented or have a great coconut scent. They’re the best!
Favorite Nail and Cuticle Cream
- Nail Butter: I just adore lemongrass-scented Nail Butter (reviewed here), a thick cream that instantly hydrates my dry nails and cuticles. This stuff makes my nails look and feel so much healthier.
Favorite Body Wash
- Rituals Zensation Organic Rice Milk & Cherry Blossom Shower Foam: This unique shower foam (reviewed here) comes out of a spray can as a clear liqui-gel but turns to a moisturizing foam on contact with water. It smells heavenly and leaves my dry skin feeling much more hydrated than any other body wash I’ve ever used.
Favorite Multi-Use Skincare Product
- MyChelle Advanced Argan Oil: I really love MyChelle Advanced Argan Oil (reviewed here) because it is lightweight, does an amazing job softening and hydrating, and it dries with no greasy feeling. I use it on my skin, hair and nails. Although coconut oil is a close second to argan oil for multi-use, there’s nothing like MyChelle Advanced Argan Oil for not being messy (it comes in a pump) and for it’s greaseless feel.