I was taken by surprise when I got a 20% off coupon from Ulta Beauty this week in my email. I thought that perhaps there would be a sale in February, but maybe they were getting a jump on Valentine’s Day. At any rate, it came at a good time when I was running out of a couple of my staples.
The 20% off coupon is good for prestige as well as mass products. It can be used only once until February 3. You can use it either in store or online.
Here’s my haul, a mix of staples and splurges:
- IT Cosmetics No. 50 Primer Serum: I am almost out of IT Cosmetics No. 50 Serum Primer that I discovered last year at Ulta. It is so, so smooth (thank you dimethicone), and it’s a nourishing anti-aging skincare product at the same time. Actually, I think it’s the perfect primer for dry or older skin. The bottle I am replacing lasted me almost a year, and I bought that one during an Ulta 20% off sale too. So the $48 price tag that ends up being around $39 with the discount doesn’t seem so bad.
- Joico K-Pak Color Therapy Luster Lock, full size and travel size: Joico K-Pak Color Therapy Luster Lock is my favorite super conditioner. I call it a super conditioner because it seems to repair and nourish my hair as well as make it smooth and tangle free. It doesn’t build up or make my hair greasy. I love it. I bought a big tube ($19.99) as well as a travel size ($4.99) that I plan to take when Jeff and I go to Amsterdam in the spring.
- Joico Color Endure Shampoo Sulfate-Free, travel size, $4.99: We’re renting an apartment in Amsterdam for our vacation so I don’t think there will be haircare samples waiting for us. So I need to bring my own. I decided to try out Joico Color Endure Shampoo because I like the K-Pak Luster Lock so much. Hopefully, they make a good shampoo too.
- It’s A 10 Miracle Leave-In Product, 10 fl. oz. size: I just finished a bottle of a competitor to It’s A 10 Miracle Leave-In Product called It Haircare 12-in-1 Amazing Leave-In Treatment (reviewed here). It was a good product, but I decided to go back to It’s A 10 that I had such good results with in the past. I bought the big 10 fl. oz. size ($37) to take advantage of the sale, and it should last me a long time.
- Urban Decay Liquid Moondust Eye Shadow, Zodiac: One of my NSDB readers/friends and enablers, Rach, told me about Urban Decay Liquid Moondust in Zodiac, a stunning smokey black with a blue/green shift. The shade reads very dark green/teal metallic with some fine glitter. The shade is so gorgeous, I had to give it a try. My dry lids don’t like liquid shadow so I will try it as a liner. I’ll let you know how it goes. $22
- Urban Decay Heavy Metal Glitter Liner, Midnight Cowboy/Punk Rock: I was waiting for this sale at Ulta to pick up Urban Decay Glitter Liner in the shade, Punk Rock, that is a sheer brown with colored glitter. Rach also told me how much she loves this shade so I decided to get it since I like the silver, Glam Rock, liner that I bought before the holidays. Of course, my Ulta store is out of Punk Rock. As usual, I had filled up my bag before I discovered that Ulta was out of that shade, so I didn’t feel like putting everything back and placing my order online. This seems to happen every time I go to Ulta during a sale. Oh well. The SA suggested that I buy one of the shades that is in stock and then exchange it when Punk Rock comes back in stock. So I bought Midnight Cowboy. I don’t want to open it since I plan to return it. It appears to be a bronzey-gold and very pretty.
Having to go back to Ulta to exchange the product is a pain – so that’s the downside about not being able to use the coupon twice. I couldn’t buy what was in stock in the store, and then buy the product that was out-of-stock in the store online. Ulta usually rocks, but this is annoying and it happens frequently. Rant over.
Oh yes, I was sorely tempted by Too Faced Diamond Light Highlighter. It launched recently, and according to the TF rep at Ulta, it’s a limited edition product that could possibly become permanent. It is a gigantic and stunning unicorn-ish highlighter that “like a diamond” is made up of many shades: white, pink, purple, bluish, and you can sort of pick out these colors within the super big block of highlighter, or you can swipe across the pan and get a beautiful mixture. The faux leather, faux gold embossed pink jewelry box packaging is adorable too. I put Diamond Light in my bag, and then took it out again. The price is $34 with 20% off, it becomes $27.20. Nevertheless, I was already spending quite a bit, and although I adore highlighter, it isn’t something that I wear all that often. If Sephora has a 20% off sale soon, I’ll buy it then. I’m also holding out for a possible sale on the Too Faced website because they sometimes have 25% or even 30% off during their holiday sales. Fingers crossed it doesn’t go away by then.
So that’s my haul. Have you picked up anything yet during the Ulta sale? If not, what’s on your list?