How can it be that May is here already? 2016 is zipping by much too fast. But I’m glad that spring is on the way, and I say “on the way” because it’s still cold here and there are no real leaves on the trees yet. In fact, I’m afraid we’re going to bypass the trees that flower and go straight to leaves which makes me very sad. No blossoms on my weeping cherry tree, and my Bradford pear blossoms and forsythia just don’t want to open. Hopefully they will soon.
In spite of being away on vacation last month, I managed to finish up several products most of which are full size.
I’m usually always happy to get to recycle the empty bottles but I’m particularly sad to finish up the Bellatorra Cellular Renewal Serum, a fabulous but very expensive serum that I can’t afford to replace. Oh well, I was lucky to get to try it. Let’s take a look at my empties. I’ll start with skincare.
- Bellatorra Cellular Renewal Serum: I reviewed this a couple of months ago here, so please read the full review. I loved this lightweight but very hydrating serum. It worked so well that you only “need” to use it every two days because it keeps on working for 48 hours. That’s why the bottle lasted me so long. It also comes in a beautiful triangular shaped glass bottle with an airless pump. Definitely consider this serum if you can. It would be great to buy during the semi-annual Barney’s beauty bag event! Repurchase? Wish I could! $295
- Simple Micellar Water: I gave this affordable micellar water a bad rap when I reviewed it months ago because at the time it irritated my eyes very badly. Nevertheless, I continued to use it and use it up, but I mostly avoided using it on or near my eyes. Or I kept my eyes tightly shut when I used it. I tried it again to remove my eye makeup recently, and though I did keep my eyes closed, I didn’t have any trouble using it to take off my eye makeup. Sorry, Simple MW, I didn’t mean it!! Repurchase? I would, but I already bought a bottle of Garnier MW. $5.99
- Skinceuticals Floretin CF Gel Antoxidant Serum-in-a-Gel (vitamin C serum): Someone gave me this serum, and now I know why. It smells absolutely awful (I believe it’s the ferulic acid). Over time, the gel turned color becoming a deep orange color that stayed on my skin. I looked like John Boehner. But everyone raved about Skinceuticals so I struggled through and finished the bottle. Repurchase? Not on your life. $163
- The Organic Pharmacy Enzyme Peel Mask: I received this deluxe sample in one of my Barney’s beauty bags. I used it last night. It’s a milky gel cream with a very sweet scent that smells like the cleaning products used in a hotel ladies room. I like scents but I wasn’t a real fan of this scent. Nevertheless, the scent did disappear when it the mask was on my face. I applied the entire tube to my face and neck, left it on for 10 minutes and removed it with warm water and a face cloth. It didn’t tingle, it was great on my semi-sensitive skin. It left my skin feeling very smooth and hydrated. Repurchase? Probably not. I wasn’t a fan of the scent and to me, that’s part of the mask experience. $74 full size
- Kiehl’s Super Multi-Corrective Eye-Opening Serum: A very thin, runny white lotion. I found it to be so runny it was difficult to use without making a mess. And it wasn’t hydrating enough on its own so I had to use an eye cream on top of it. I usually like Kiehl’s products but not this one. Repurchase? No.
- Marula Beauty Oil, Pure Marula Facial Oil by John Paul Selects: I received this little glass tube of marula oil in my Barney’s bag too, and I used it several times recently and it was lightweight, had a lovely scent, and left my skin feeling very soft. Marula Oil is relatively new on the scene. It’s harvested from the kernels of the marula tree in South Africa. It’s loaded with antioxidants, vitamin C, vitamin E, polyphenols and lots of other ingredients that are great for skin, particularly for aging skin. It helps skin repair itself and it gives some sun protection. Repurchase? I don’t know if I’ll purchase this one from Barney’s but I definitely will get me some more marula oil.
- Nature Island Botanicals Gourmet Caribbean Coconut Lotion: I absolutely adore this body lotion that’s more like a body butter in a pump bottle. I’ve talked about it a few times (including here). The scent is beyond heavenly. This was probably my fourth bottle of this fabulously hydrating, great smelling, handmade lotion. Repurchase? Yes, when Daphne comes to the Waterfront Craft Festival in July but in the meantime, I am going to try her orange-scented body lotion for the first time. Psyched!
- A Girl’s Gotta Spa Energizing Citrus Body Wash: I reviewed the lovely A Girl’s Gotta Spa body wash several months ago here. After using the entire bottle, I liked it with a couple of nits. I’m a lather lover and this body wash doesn’t create a lot of suds. It’s extremely gentle on skin so if you have sensitive skin, don’t hesitate to buy this body wash. Also, I would like a stronger scent – this citrus scent is on the mild side. Lastly, I wish I could read the print on the bottle more easily. It could be my aging eyes, but the yellowish and pale orange print doesn’t show up very well on the bottle and I like to read bottles! Repurchase? I enjoyed it enough to buy it again, but I have other body washes and shower gels waiting in the wings.
- Assured Moisturizing Shave Cream for Women: I’m almost embarrassed to write about this one. I searched in my linen closet for the Skintimate Shower Gel that I was sure was there. I thought I bought a multipack at Costco, but I must have been wrong. When I went to Costco, they didn’t have any shaving gel. So I stopped into Dollar General and I bought Assured Moisturizing Shave Cream for Women for $1. Ever heard of that brand? Yeah, neither had I and for a reason. This shave cream reminds me of the shave cream in the 1970s – all foam that disappears on your skin and offers no protection whatsoever. But I used up anyway. Repurchase? Never again.
So these were my empties. Have you tried any of ’em? What did you use up this past month?