I got my Sephora Play bag this month, August, on the early side (whereas Ipsy is decidedly late). But when I took it out of the box, I was a little surprised that the name on the bag for this month is Makeup Geek, even though the theme is The Innovators.
Since there’s a well known indie makeup brand called Makeup Geek, Sephora should have known better than to infringe on their trademark. While there may not be legal repercussions, it just seemed strange. Either Sephora doesn’t know about Makeup Geek, which makes me think they’re uninformed about beauty, or they just don’t care. Not cool.
OK, enough with the scolding. What about the bag?
My bag contained:
- Hourglass Vanish Seamless Finish Foundation Stick, shade Shell: travel size stick: I almost bought this last year, but I couldn’t find a good color match so I bought MUFE Ultra HD Foundation instead, and I’m glad I did. MUFE Ultra HD is my favorite foundation in both liquid and stick form. Nevertheless, I was glad to get to try out the Hourglass version. The shade, Shell, looked like it was going to be a decent match for my skin in summer. The shade isn’t bad, but it’s too yellow for me. The coverage is not nearly as good as MUFE. I’d describe it as medium coverage at best. I’ve used it a couple of times so far, and though it’s wonderfully lightweight for summer, my skin imperfections show through clearly. I tried putting on two coats, not easy with a stick, but that still didn’t do the trick. I guess it’s not for me, but I’m glad I got it try it out, and it’s good to keep in my purse MU bag to use in a pinch.
- Clinique HIM Dual-Ended High Impact Mascara & Lash Building Primer: travel size: I have never used a lash primer and mascara combo before, so this was fun to try. I love the handy two-in-one aspect of it. I used the mascara on its own, and it was a little skimpy. I used the two together and got better results. I’m not a huge fan of a two step process, but I’ll enjoy experimenting with this some more.
- Beauty Blender Micro Mini: I’m thrilled to get this. I’ll use it a lot for applying concealer under my eyes or blending eyeshadow.
- Korres Golden Krocus Ageless Saffron Elixir Serum: deluxe sample: Haven’t tried this serum yet, but it looks good. I love Korres.
- Alterna Haircare Caviar Anti-aging Miracle Multiplying Volume Mist: travel size: My hair is thick and certainly doesn’t need more volume. I’ll give it away.
- My Burberry Black eau de parfum: sample spray: With “Black” in the name, I thought this scent might work for me. And with notes of jasmine, candied rose and amber, it had two notes that I do well with: rose and amber though I’m not a fan of jasmine. My Burberry Black is a very pretty fragrance that almost but not quite works with my body chemistry. It has the depth that I look for in a fragrance, but it’s too sweet for me like so many contemporary fragrances.
In spite of the mishap with the name on the bag, I think this month’s bag was a good one. I was most excited about the Beauty Blender micro mini, the Clinique dual mascara/primer and the Hourglass Foundation Stick. It fulfilled the mission of providing beauty products, most of which, I would like to try and experiment with. For $10 delivered, I say it was worth it.
What did you think about your Sephora Play bag this month? Did you have any thoughts about the Makeup Geek name on the bag?