I’ve fallen behind in my subbie bag reviews. Just too many at once. My Birchbox subscription ended in December, and I’m relieved. I’d actually like to get rid of one more, but I can’t decide if I should keep ipsy or keep Sephora Play. I still love the makeup bags from ipsy and the fact that I get some full size products so they have a slight edge. But Sephora gives all prestige brands though they’re always deluxe samples. What to do?
At any rate, here are my two ipsy bags from the past two months.
Carpe P.M. December 2016
The theme Carpe P.M. or seize the night is perfect for the holiday season. The bag is cute: a raspberry colored fuzzy fabric bag with a metallic plastic wristlet and gold metal ipsy logo that can easily be used as an evening bag in a pinch.
The goodies inside represented a good variety of items:
- Smashbox Insta-Matte: This product has been getting a lot of buzz. The dimethicone-based gel turns regular lipstick into matte instantly. I was hesitant to use it because my lips are so dry, but what the heck. I’ll try it and if it’s too drying, I’ll give it to a friend or just toss it. In addition to making lipstick matte, it is supposed to extend wear time, prevent feathering, and visibly soften the look of lines. Sounds intriguing! deluxe travel size
- Beau Gachis Paris Concealer Brush: A brand I’ve never heard of, but I can always use another concealer brush. Feels soft. full size
- NYX Prismatic Eyeshadow Single, shade Punk Heart: A gorgeous, buttery, shimmer shadow in a raisin or browned purple. I love love love this shadow! full size
- Jersey Shore Cosmetics Peppermint Moisture Rich Hydrating Balm: If you follow my blog, you know that peppermint is not my friend. It dries out my already dry lips. I’ll be giving this lip balm away ASAP. full size
- Aurora Intensely Precise Eyeliner, shade Cinnamon: Oh, a liquid eyeliner in BROWN! Hurray! Cinnamon is a terrific medium brown that will look great with the NYX shadow in Punk Heart. So happy to get a new brown eyeliner! I haven’t tried it yet, but I hope it won’t bleed like in the photo below. full size
I’m thrilled with my December Carpe P.M. ipsy bag! A real winner IMHO. 5 items of which all but one are full size. One of the items is buzz worthy: Smashbox Insta-Matte. I will use 4 out of 5 products. Winner.
Metropolis January 2017
As a long time NYC resident, I liked the January theme, Metropolis. Big cities are my jam. The bag itself is metallic grey faux leather with polka dot holes over a lighter grey fabric. It’s edgy and urban. What’s inside?
- Ciate London Gelology Top Coat: Another very on-trend product, Ciate Gelology gives nails a mirror-like, metallic finish. I have tried it yet, but I’m happy to get a chance to try it out. Fun! full size
- theBalm Bahama Mama bronzer: I love theBalm but I don’t do bronzer. I’ll give this away. deluxe travel size
- pur-lisse Blue Lotus Seed Mud Mask: Haven’t had a chance to try this yet, but mud masks can sometimes be too strong for my dry skin. But I like pur-lisse skincare so we’ll see. deluxe travel size
- Naked Cosmetics loose mica pigment, shade Desert Sun: I’m not really a fan of loose pigments, but I love the packaging and the golden-bronze color of the pigments. I’ll give this a try. probably a deluxe travel size though it could be full size 0.05 oz.
- Crown Beauty Basics angled blush/contour brush: Looks like a decent quality, useful brush. I’ll take it! full size
Another very good bag this month. Two or three full size products including an on-trend product – Ciate Gelology. Although I won’t use the bronzer, and loose pigments aren’t usually my thing, I’ll try 4 out of 5 products and that’s the point of a subscription bag – try new things!
So I’m happy with my ipsy bags. If you don’t already subscribe and want to, I’d be thrilled if you’d use my code to subscribe. xoxo
If you do subscribe, how did you like your December and January bags?