My color-treated red hair is a big investment. I could take a nice vacation on what I spend to have it colored in a salon in Boston. So I try to take care of my bright red locks by keeping the color vibrant and the hair healthy.
To Prevent Fading
- I avoid washing it too often. Every 4-5 days is often enough for me unless it’s hot and humid and I’m exercising outdoors.
- I use color-safe haircare products.
- In the summer, I try to keep my hair covered and out of the direct sun when I can.
- I wash my hair in warm not hot water.
To Keep It Healthy
- I try to eat a healthy diet.
- I take biotin every day.
- I use a soft, smooth Hubalou Hair Wrap instead of a terry cloth or microfiber towel to help stop my hair from sticking to the fabric and coming out. The Hubalou also helps absorb more water from my hair and reduce drying time.
- I use either Arvazallia Argan Oil or Darshana Indian Oil as a pre-wash at least once a month.
I have a core set of hair care products that I like to use, but I recently had a chance to try a new after-shampoo leave-in conditioning/repair product. I usually use an anti-frizz leave-in spray, but instead I have been substituting a brand/product that was new to me, New York Streets Hair Repair.
New York Streets is an indie brand with a complete line of haircare products. I’m trying out the Hair Repair. After squeezing out as much water from my hair as I can, I spray on New York Streets Hair Repair, comb it through, blow dry my hair, and use my flat iron to smooth out my coarse hair.
Frankly, I was afraid to give up my usual spray for this new product, but I needn’t have feared. Not only does my hair look super-smooth after flat-ironing it, but it feels soooooo soft and silky. And it stays soft, silky and straight till I wash it again. Impressive.
New York Streets Hair Repairs tagline is “Restore. Strengthen. Protect.” and yes, it does! This is what they say about the product:
“Leave-in hair strengthener repairs and protects without leaving hair limp. Great for fine, weak hair. Wheat and Soy Proteins add strength and elasticity. Leaves hair shiny and smooth with great body and helps to reduce static.”
I love how it makes my hair look and feel. It doesn’t weigh my hair down or make it feel dirty before it’s time to wash it again. Love that.
New York Streets Hair Repair contains:
- glycerin: a natural humectant that helps lock in moisture into the hair cuticle
- panthenol: attracts moisture and binds to water molecules in order to moisturize hair
- hydrolyzed silk: acts similarly to Hyaluronic Acid in skincare products by attracting and holding water, up to 10,000 times its weight
- hydrolyzed wheat protein: helps keep moisture in the hair by creating a protective moisture barrier.
New York Streets Hair Repair comes in a 3.3 oz. pump spray for $21. You can check it out along with the rest of the New York Streets product line on their website where you can also buy it.