This month, my two subbie bags arrived almost simultaneously. I’m always comparing the two, and this month is no different. Let’s see if either one has the edge.
Ipsy Over Easy
The makeup bag this month features a white and yellow plastic makeup bag adorned with Gudetama, the cartoon egg that I believe is a mascot for Ipsy (though I don’t recall ever seeing it before this!). On the bag, Gudetama is “over easy”. Cute though a bit juvenile for me.
When I first opened up my bag, I was underwhelmed, but I changed my mind as I really studied the products.
Here’s what I got:
- treStique Mini Cover & Correct Concealer Crayon, Bisque: When I first saw this, I thought it was the same highlighter that I got in my Ipsy bag a couple of month’s ago. Thankfully, it wasn’t. It’s a concealer stick in the perfect shade for me. Goes right into my purse makeup bag. Love it! travel size, estimated price $13
- Ciate Wonderwand Gel-Kohl Hybrid Liner, black: Although I can’t say I was thrilled to get yet another black eyeliner pencil, I was curious about this newish makeup from Ciate. The pencil is very smooth, very black, and it does seem like a gel in pencil form. The other end has an angled brush that I guess you use to smudge the line? I’m not sure I’ll use it that way, but it’ll come in handy to apply real gel liner. full size, $18
- two Tony Moly I’m Real Sheet Masks, Green Tea and Lotus: I was tempted to try a Tony Moly mask when I saw them at Ulta. Now I can! full size, $3-3.75 each
- Jersey Shore Cosmetics Mongongo Organic Lip Conditioner, Mandarin Green Orange & Ginger: I received another one of these Mongongo lip balms last year in a different flavor. This one is “anti-aging” and it’s organic. For someone with dry lips like mine, you’d think I go through a million of these but truth be told, they last me forever. I don’t need it, but eventually I’ll get to it. full size, $10
- Ofra Eyeshadow 4 Gram Refill, Gold Rush: I’ve never tried Ofra eye makeup. I am blown away by how silky smooth this shimmery metallic bronze shade is. Gorgeous! $12
Total value of this month’s Ipsy bag = $62. Wow! That’s more than I expected even. Overall, I’m happy with this month’s bag, and I’ll use everything.
Sephora Play Beauty Staycation
Although it’s another cottony bag, I like the pink and off white gingham pattern even though it says “Glamp Out!” in a clashing red on the front. It’s still a cute bag
Here’s what I got:
- IT Cosmetics SuperHero Mascara: I love this mascara though I own several full size and travel size already. The more the merrier? travel size, $12
- REN Evercalm Ultra Comforting Rescue Mask: I could have used this yesterday. After jogging and then cutting back two large shrubs, something irritated my face. It actually hurt. I applied Kiehl’s Midnight Concentrate Serum Oil and that helped but I also could have tried this mask. I look forward to trying it. deluxe sample size
- Madame C. J. Walker Wonderful Deep Conditioning Masque: I love Mme CJ Walker haircare so I’m glad to get this deep conditioner. deluxe travel size
- Perricone MD Face Finishing Moisturizer: This lightweight gel cream seems perfect for summer. sample size
- Clinique Chubby Stick Moisturizing Lip Balm, woppin’ watermelon: I have always wanted to try one of Clinique’s Chubby Sticks, but this pale, almost colorless, shade of sheer pink isn’t the one I would have chosen. I like more color. I’m not sure if this is a travel size or full size, but it is quite big. full size is $17
- Viktor & Rolf Bonbon Eau de Parfum: Another sweet perfume that smells like every other contemporary sweet perfume, IMHO. However, the bottle that a full size comes in is positively adorable! sample
I honestly don’t know the value of the Sephora Play bag, but it’s well over the $10 I paid for it. I will use everything in the bag except for the perfume sample. I’d say it’s a decent bag this month, though I’m disappointed in the shade of the Clinique Chubby Stick since I was initially excited to get it.
Here are the swatches from the color cosmetics I received:
In sum, both subscriptions will live to fight another day! I’ll keep ’em both another month.
If you don’t subscribe to Ipsy and want to, I’d be grateful as always if you’d use my referral link. I don’t think Sephora Play has any rewards program linked to the subscription bag, but if you want to subscribe, I don’t think there’s a waiting list any longer.
What did you get in your subbie bags this month??