The months keep rolling by, and now we’re in October. Time for my monthly empties post!
I finished up quite a few things, some of which I was dying to get through and others, well I’m sad they’re gone. Let’s get to it.
Bath & Body
- Perlier White Almond Antibacterial Foaming Soap, full size: A few years ago, I received a travel set of bath and body minis from Perlier to review and White Almond was one of the scent options in the set. I loved the fragrance, although it is an unusual one: very clean but also somewhat medicinal in a good way 😆 My friend Sybille read my review, and to my surprise, she sent her husband over with a holiday gift for me: a big 500 ml bottle of Perlier White Almond Antibacterial Foaming Soap! What a luxurious gift! It has lasted me about 3 years – I used it as a hand soap that I kept on my bathroom sink. Repurchase? No. I enjoyed using this, but I’m testing a soap from EO right now in a different scent. I could see myself coming back to this in the future, though the “antibacterial” aspect will be going away which is fine with me.
- Rituals Tao T’ai Chi White Lotus and Yi Yi Ren Foaming Shower Gel Sensation, travel size: I got this in my Barneys NY Fall goody bag. Last year, the bag included a full-size can of the Cherry Blossom scent, and I was hooked. I’ve repurchased the cherry blossom scent twice. This scent is lovely, light and gender-neutral. I like the scent but not as much as the cherry blossom. I adore the foaming liquid form. Purchase? Although I liked this scent, I prefer cherry blossom.
- Paul Mitchell Teatree Lemon Sage Energizing Body Lotion, deluxe sample: I got this thick fantastic lemon scented body lotion as an amenity at a hotel. I loved it! Purchase? I certainly loved this body lotion enough to buy it, but I have so many lotions and butters to use up. Also, I’ve never seen this Paul Mitchell body lotion at CVS or any other store. Have you? It is worth seeking out if you’re a fan of lemon scents.
- MyChelle Dermaceuticals Sun Shield Unscented SPF 28, full size: This is my favorite cream sunscreen. It’s lightweight, not too greasy, absorbs quickly and easily, and it’s unscented. It works with physical sunscreen. Wish the SPF were higher, but I like it a lot anyway. Purchase? Yes, next summer when I return to the beach.
- Lather Bar Soap, Lavender, full size: Lovely, lavender scented, natural bar soap. I enjoyed it a lot. Purchase? No, I have a ton of bar soaps waiting in the wings including two more from Lather in other scents.
- MEG21 Refine & Refresh Moisturizing Toner, full size: I started this fabulous 6 oz. toner back in January, and I just finished it yesterday. It lasted me 9 months. Because of this toner, I have become a real devotee of toners. After using it every night, I was amazed at how much of my foundation remained on my face even though I double cleanse. And I love getting some extra moisture on my face the easy way. This is fabulous stuff! Purchase? I definitely will, but I have another toner I received from a different brand to use up first. If you have dry skin and are looking for a great toner, this is the one!
- Reviva Labs Sun Protective Moisturizer, full size: I was also sad to finish up this jar of Reviva Labs Sun Protective Moisturizer that I started in the late spring. It has SPF 25. What I liked most about it was the lightweight formula. It was perfect for the hot weather months and for wearing under foundation. It protects against the sun with both chemical and physical sunscreen. I really enjoyed this! Purchase? Again, I will at some point, but I have another sunscreen with SPF that I will be testing for review.
- Ole Henriksen Truth Serum Collagen Booster, deluxe sample: I received this fancy vitamin C serum in an Influenster box in August. I really liked it. It was a lightweight gel with a nice citrus scent. I don’t know that it reduced my dark spots any more than they’ve been reduced at this point, but I’m hoping it boosted my collagen level. Purchase? Same as above, I liked it enough to buy it, but I have other serums that I have to test.
- Sesderma C-Vit Liposomal Serum, deluxe sample: I just received this tiny bottle in my Glossybox along with a cleanser/eye makeup remover. The C-Vit looked like it was more than half empty when I got it – either it had spilled or the serum evaporated. So there was only enough for two nights in the bottle. It was a mid weight liquid serum with a citrus scent. Purchase? No, there wasn’t enough in the bottle to form an opinion, and I have other serums to test.
- 3Lab Super Eye Treatment, deluxe sample: I got this mini tube of clear eye gel in my most recent Barneys NY goody bag. I loved it. It worked well on the loose skin above my crease. Purchase? I was all set to buy this, but when I went to the Barneys website, I discovered that this eye gel costs $450!!! Sorry, no.
- 3Lab WW Cream, deluxe sample: I also got this mini tube of anti-wrinkle and brightening cream in the same Barneys NY bag. It is a thick night cream. It seemed nice, but there wasn’t enough in there to tell if it worked. Purchase? No. I didn’t even bother looking up the price of this cream ‘coz I know it’s out of my price range.
- Neutrogena Healthy Defense Daily Moisturizer SPF 30, deluxe sample: I got this mini tube as an amenity at a Hilton Hotel (I think) that I stayed at on a business trip a while ago. All the amenities were from Neutrogena, and I thought it was great that they threw in a tube of moisturizer! I kept it in my travel bag, and used it up recently. It works via chemical sunscreens. Purchase? Not right now, though I have bought a large bottle of this in the past. It’s lightweight, affordable and pleasant to use.
Makeup and Removers
- The Edge Beauty, Iconic Mascara, full size: I’m a fan of The Edge Beauty lipstick and eyeliner pencils so I was eager to try their mascara. Unfortunately, I didn’t like this mascara at all. It didn’t add volume or much length to my lashes. I’ve tried using it several times hoping I would change my mind, but I give up. I’m tossing it. Purchase? No way. There are much better mascaras out there.
- Clinique Take The Day Off Cleansing Balm, deluxe sample: I got this sample either in a Sephora Play! bag or as a sample with purchase from Sephora. I was excited to try it because so many other bloggers love it. What did I think? Thumbs down. I tried it several times, and I thought it was a goopy mess. It comes in a jar when you buy it full size, and my sample was a big blob of it. I found it very messy to use. I put some on one eye, and then had to stick my dirty finger back in to get more for the other eye – so that meant stopping to wash my hands first. I think if it came in a tube like another cream cleanser I already own, I’d like it more. I haven’t even finished this up, but I’m tossing it. Purchase? No! But other women love this stuff, so you might too!
- Neutrogena Make-up Remover Wipes, travel size: This is my tried-and-true makeup remover for travel. I’ve bought these many times. They work fairly well. They are on the somewhat dry side and they get off most of my makeup. Repurchase? Probably when I take my next trip. Nevertheless, I wish I could find a makeup remover wipe that doesn’t sting my sensitive eyes that gets off more of my makeup more easily. Any suggestions???
- Beauty 360 6 panel Nail File/Buffer, full size: I like these 6 sided nail buffers to get rid of the ridges in my nails and buff them to a shine for when I don’t feel like wearing nail polish. This brand from CVS works well. Repurchase? I already have. I buy and use these buffers all the time.
- Swisspers Hyperallergenic 100% Cotton Rounds: Yet another sleeve of these great cotton rounds used up. I use several rounds every day for eye makeup removal along with micellar water and for applying toner. Also great for removing nail polish. Repurchase? I bought this in a big box of 8 sleeves at Costco. I still have more left, yay!
- Oribe Glaze for Beautiful Color, deluxe sample: I got this in my September Birchbox. I had high hopes for this deep conditioner, but I didn’t love it and there was enough in the tube to try it twice. Purchase? No.
- Oribe Beautiful Color Shampoo and Conditioner, sample: There was only enough for one use, but I loved this shampoo and conditioner that are part of the Oribe Beautiful Color range like the Glaze I wrote about above. Unlike the Glaze, however, this shampoo/conditoner duo made my hair silky soft, and I was able to wait my usual 4 days before re-shampooing. Loved it. Purchase? If I didn’t have so many shampoos and conditioners, I’d run right out and buy this duo. Maybe sometime when I go through my stash.
- Hask Kalahari Melon Oil Color Protection Shampoo and Conditioner, sample: Like the Oribe products, there was only enough for one use in these samples that I got with an Ulta Beauty purchase. Unlike the Oribe shampoo and conditioner, I didn’t love this duo. The shampoo felt like it stripped my hair and the conditioner didn’t put back enough oil. My hair wasn’t as soft, shiny and smooth as I usually expect. Although my hair felt dry, it got dirty much faster than usual. I felt like I should have washed my hair again after only 2 days rather than my usual 4. Purchase? No.
So I used up a lot of stuff in September. I’ll miss the MEG 21 Toner and the Reviva Labs Sun Protective Moisturizer the most. But I’m on to testing out and using up more stuff.
How about you? What did you use up in September that you really loved?
Copyright 2016 Never Say Die Beauty