Are you familiar with Paula’s Choice? I first became familiar with Paula’s Choice through Paula Begoun’s (the Paula in Paula’s Choice) Beautypedia. Have you checked out the Paula’s Choice website? You can find answers to almost any skincare or beauty question, find out about ingredients, and get well-researched reviews on 45,000 beauty and skincare products. Paula’s Choice is committed to customer advocacy, education and helping people learn about their skin. In fact, I visited the Beautypedia sites many times before I discovered that Paula’s Choice has a product line of about a zillion different types of products created for different skincare needs and makeup too. Acne, anti-aging, rosacea, pores – they’ve got it all!
Recently, I was given the opportunity to try out an entire Paula’s Choice skincare regimen personally prescribed for my skin type and issues in exchange for an honest review. I spent about 10 minutes on the phone with a very knowledgeable Paula’s Choice beauty consultant describing what skin challenges I’m trying to address. At first, I thought that I was special, getting to talk to a beauty consultant, but I have since found out that everyone who wants one can get a free personal skincare consultation just by calling this number: 800-831-4088. I told my consultant about my dry skin, my sun damage and wrinkles. She recommended the Paula’s Choice Skin Discovery Advanced Kit for Dryness and Sun Damage (two of my primary concerns) as well as two additional Treatment products for anti-aging), 9 products in total. Wow, I was almost overwhelmed when they first arrived, but actually I was thrilled!
Skin Recovery Advanced Kit
The Skin Recovery Advanced Kit, in addition focusing on replenishing dryness and fading sun damage, is also created for those with eczema, redness, rosacea, or sensitive skin. The kit came with a handy brochure that described each product and how/when to use it. Let me tell you a little about the Advanced Kit and each of the products I’ve been using for the past month:
- Cleanser: Skin Recovery Softening Cream Cleanser: I use the gentle cleanser twice a day. It’s just that, a gentle, creamy cleanser that I apply to my wet face and massage on my face and around my eyes in circular motions. It doesn’t lather, but I’ve really gotten into the relaxing massage. It cleans without stripping and helps moisturize my dry skin. Very nice. $17 for 8 oz., $25 for 16 oz. I have the 8 oz. size, and it’s huge. It’ll last me for a loooooong time!
- Toner: Skin Recovery Enriched Calming Toner: Although I wasn’t a regular toner user, I have learned that toner can help increase the effectiveness of serum and moisturizer. Plus I love the soothing, refreshing feeling that I get from the milky Calming Toner. $20 for 6.4 oz.
- Exfoliant: Skin Perfecting 8% AHA Gel: The 8% AHA Gel Exfoliant is a serious product. Because I have had experience with glycolic acid, I was somewhat used to this sensation. The first time that I used it I felt a bit of a sting when it went on, but after that I was completely used to it. I use this gel a few times a week. It’s meant to be left on the skin without rinsing. $26 for 3.3 oz.
- Treatment: Skin Recovery Super Antioxidant Concentrate Serum with Retinol: This serum is heaven. I look forward to smoothing a few drops of it over my face morning and night before moisturizer. It is so smooth and so soothing, I just love it! It’s so emollient that I sometimes feel that I could skip the moisturizer, but I love the moisturizers so much I put ’em on anyway. $30 for 1 oz. tube.
- Daytime Moisturizer + SPF: Skin Recovery Daily Moisturizing Lotion SPF 30: I often dislike daytime moisturizers with SPF, even though I wear them religiously, because they’re too heavy because of the SPF. This lightweight but very hydrating daytime moisturizer (they call it a lotion but I think it’s more like a creamy gel because it’s not loose or runny) comes in a tube (love not having to put my fingers in a jar!). I just squeeze out about a quarter’s worth and smooth it onto my face and neck. It provides UVA/UVB coverage. What I also love about this moisturizer with SPF is that it is perfect for applying makeup on top of it. I don’t feel like I’m wearing a ton of stuff on my face. And again, it’s so soothing! $26 for 2 oz.
- Night Moisturizer: Skin Recovery Replenishing Moisturizer: Also in a handy tube, I apply this emollient but not the least bit greasy cream to my face after serum at night before bed. More soothingness, lol. $26 for 2 oz.
- Mask: Skin Recovery Hydrating Treatment Mask: Once or twice a week, I apply a thin layer of the clear gel mask to my face. Sometimes I leave it on for 20 minutes and then gently rinse off, but most times, I use it as a sleeping mask and my face feels great the next day. $21 for 4 oz.
- Clinical 1% Retinol Treatment: I’ve been really eager to find a good retinol treatment, so this was a very welcome addition to my arsenal for improving my skin’s firmness, smoothing lines and wrinkles, and fading dark spots. So far, I’ve been using this at night treatment about twice a week because I’m also using the 8% AHA Gel Exfoliant on a number of other nights, so I like to have a night off. Once my skin gets used to the regimen, I’ll work up to using it every night. I had been using a different brand of 1% retinol cream in the past so I haven’t had any tingling or irritation in using this. The Retinol Treatment comes in a pump container that I really like, and the product itself is a smooth gel-like serum. $55 for 1 oz.
- Resist 25% Vitamin C Spot Treatment: I think this is the coolest treatment ever! I dab this on my dark spots and deep wrinkles every night. You can use it during the day under an SPF, too. I am really eager to see if this higher percentage of vitamin C will help my dark spots fade faster! $55 for 0.5 oz.
I’ve been testing out a lot of skincare products over the past couple of years, and switching around like I’ve been doing can be tough on skin. Recently, I was testing a strong glycolic acid product from another brand that was giving my skin a workout, and my skin was actually a bit sore because I wasn’t used to GA at that strength.
It’s been great using an entire product line on my skin with everything designed to work together and chosen specially for my skin. The Paula’s Choice Skin Recovery Advanced Kit and the additional treatment products are definitely products that I could use for a lifetime. In fact, if I could use them forever without having to test out new skincare brands (oh, the beauty blogger’s life, lol!), it would be fine with me! I love the packaging, designed in ways that makes sense for each product. I love the product aesthetics, they feel so darn good on my skin. So far, my skin is responding very well to this line. It’s softer, it isn’t sore any more, and it looks and feels more hydrated, more nourished and plumped. Over time, I will assess whether there are any noticeable effects from using the 8% AHA Gel, 1% Retinol Treatment and the Vitamin C Spot Treatment. I hope so ‘coz I love these treatment products!
IMHO, Paula’s Choice offers incredible quality, I’d say luxury, at an affordable price. The products tend to range in price from about $17-55 with many in the $25 price point. The entire Skin Recovery Advanced Kit is sold for $149 which is at a considerable savings from purchasing them individually. There’s also a 4 product Essentials Kit for $85 with the Cleanser, Exfoliant and the two moisturizers. It’s amazing that in the past, I have paid almost the price of the entire Advanced Kit for one skincare product. What amazing value Paula’s Choice gives! You can buy a Skin Recovery Sample Advanced Kit for $6 so you can test drive it before purchasing the whole thing, or you can buy individual samples of each product you think you might want to try. Very flexible!
Also, Paula’s Choice is cruelty-free/no animal testing, uses no irritating dyes or fragrances. (Please check the website for complete ingredient lists coz it would make this post too long to include the ingredients for all 9 products, lol!) I love skincare products with NO FRAGRANCE!! Plus they offer a 60 day 100% money-back guarantee.
Even better, I am offering my readers a 20% off coupon code plus FREE SHIPPING that’s good until June 30 at midnight EDT. So act fast so you won’t miss out on this bonus! If you click on any of the product links above, it’ll take you to the Paula’s Choice website and it should activate the code for you. The code is PRIMP20.
FYI, PRIMP stands for Pretty In My Pocket, a very cool beauty bloggers association that I’ve recently joined. PRIMP has a fabulous phone app that features lots of popular beauty bloggers, their tips for creating favorite looks, and their own reviews of products that they really like. Plus, you can shop via the PRIMP for zillions of your favorite beauty products. You can download the PRIMP app here. So give it a try! And check me out on PRIMP 😀
Click here for reuse options!
Copyright 2015 Never Say Die Beauty